Monday, October 20, 2014

Life is too short to be "too busy"

I have been blessed with a beautiful friend and sister in Christ, her name is Susan Meier. Susan and I bonded easily and quickly because we share a similar struggle...we both have adult children with special needs. I call it a struggle because not every day is easy some days are long and difficult.
Susan was her daughter's caretaker, we both have had moments and days when we were just exhausted with what being a mom with a child with special needs means. We encouraged each other, we laughed together, and we carpooled to their special needs group together to lighten our loads. Susan was always willing to drive both ways when I was "too busy". She invited Billy over to watch movies, took him to lunch and loved him even on his most difficult days. And in the last year there were many of those days. I treasured this sweet, generous, compassionate lady more than I can say.

Almost exactly 8 weeks ago my sweet friend was diagnosed with inoperable stage 4 brain cancer and today she has left this world and is at this moment dancing with Jesus, free from cancer, free from the pain it caused her the last few weeks.

Little did I know as I picked up Kristen for Days Journey (special needs group) last Friday it would be the last time, this side of Heaven I would see sweet Susan she was awake, bright eyed and beautiful sitting in her wheelchair.

I hugged her tightly and said the things I needed to say...she responded to me in the only way she could with a sweet, sweet smile.  As I turned to leave I looked back and said "bye Susan" and with a huge smile she waved good-bye. That moment was a sweet gift and a precious memory I will cling to the rest of my days....especially on the days I drive up the driveway to pick up Kristen... I will be driving both ways, because life is much too short to be "too busy" for this sweet, sweet girl who has lost her very best friend, the one who loved her so well even on the most difficult days.


“O LORD, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!" Psalm 39:4


1 comment: